Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Busy Saturday

It's feeling like it's been a long day today. I'm not sure why, but as I reflect...yeah, I've gotten a fair bit done today
First yesterday; while watching Ghost Whisperer I finished up the spinning and the plying of the lilac BFL. This is a pic of it spun up and waiting on my big wheel. I say big not because of it's footprint but the orifice and bobbin size. Huge compared to my other wheel. My spinwell has a really small orifice and that can be a problem for me as I like to spin thick a lot.

I'm not sure what I'm going to make with this but it's destined to be something to cuddle in! This wool is sooooooo soft.

This morning I started working on the hood for S's coat. Here's a pic of the finished coat from this morning.

This was part of S's Hallowe'en costume (she was a police officer) but I have to admit it didn't have all the buttons on for trick or treating. Which is pretty typical of me! LOL
It's made from Kwik Sew 2749 which is an older pattern that I bought from Shiela at Out of the Ashes
I had known that I wanted a pea coat style for S for her costume but couldn't find one. Lucky for me I stumbled upon Out of the Ashes. Not only did she have what I needed, she was wonderful to order from, she shipped to Canada and the pattern when it came was wrapped so wonderfully it was like getting a gift in the mail!

But the pattern had no hood and here that's a necessity. So I started mucking about with ideas in my head this week. Some things I decided are; it needs to be removable so I need to figure out how to attach it after the fact - buttons and elastic are what I've decided upon,  2nd I want to make it warm but not heavy so wool outer and polar fleece inner, 3rd,  I have no pattern so I'm going to have to figure something out. Yikes!

I started with a pattern from a Hallowe'en costume with a "head" but a trial of that led to the discovery that it really wasn't deep enough for a hood. Thought #1 down the drain.

Then I decided to let my brain work a little longer while I did some web surfing and some reading and then shopping. The surfing led to - you need a curved bottom edge, but no patterns. The reading led to - I don't like the hood designs in any of my sewing books that I can find. The shopping led me to 2 Burda patterns; one with a hood. hmmmmm, let's see what I can do with that.

So I did. I traced out the smallest size, reshaped the front edge (it wrapped about the front of the coat more than I needed), trimmed some off the top, and then some more before I was happy with.

Turns out that it was a good thing I trimmed - the pattern I ended up with *just* fit in the piece of black polar fleece I found. And people say keeping the left-over material is silly. hmpf! I'll have them know that material was left over from C's FIRST Hallowe'en costume.....12 years ago!

I basted that up and it looks okay so the wool is now cut and everything is basted together. Tomorrow I hope to see where the elastic loops need to go for the buttons and then get it finished in time for Monday and walking to school. It's Monday so it will probably rain and hoods are nice when it rains.

That's it for tonight. The dog is walked the dishes are put away and it's time for bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment